Sunday, September 7, 2008

Little Mexico Cafe


As I was driving home from a friend’s apartment on Friday evening, I began to see smoke. I was headed south on stocking street in the northwest side of Grand Rapids. As I approached Bridge, I realized the Little Mexico Cafe was burning before my eyes. There were fire trucks everywhere and policemen directing traffic. The Café turned out to be a total loss. News 13 reported firefighters fought the blaze from the inside for about 45 minutes, until the building became unstable.
The reason I took the time to blog about this restaurant is that my father loved to take our family here when we were children. My dad grew up on the northwest side of town and he remembered dining at the restaurant when he was younger. The food was always excellent and the experience was great! Besides a short period of being closed from 95’ to 99’, the establishment has been operating since the mid 1960’s. I wouldn’t say it’s located in the best part of town, but despite its location the restaurant has done well. I believe the News 13 article put it best. “The café has been popular for its neighborhood bar atmosphere, good food, original artwork and murals painted by painted by artist Bill Bouwsema to represent the Aztec Indian civilization and Morale’s heritage.” “For a time, it was a popular place for dignitaries to visit. Former Vice President Al Gore and his wife, Tipper, dinned with a local family at Little Mexico while campaigning in Grand Rapids in October 2000. Additionally, President Gerald R. Ford, Gov. Jennifer Granholm and singer Willie Nelson were also counted as customers.”
The restaurant reminds me of Trini’s, which is another Mexican café that is very popular in Sparta. I would have to say I like Trini’s better because of the amazing atmosphere and excellent service. However, I enjoyed going to The Little Mexico Café because of its location to my apartment. I’m curious to see if the owners will rebuild the restaurant. Time will tell, but for now Ill have to find another Mexican Café to enjoy!

No comments: