Monday, October 27, 2008

A cheap Friday night out at Van Andel


Last week Wednesday one of my friends asked me if I wanted a Grand Rapids Griffins Hockey ticket for their weekend game. Like most other poor college students I asked how much it was going to cost me. "$5 tickets for the nose bleed sections and $1 beers," he explained. Not to mention the arena was also offering $1 hot dogs! Consequently, I told him yes and he bought me a ticket. I ended up going with a group of 8 people and met a bunch of other friends there. Dollar beers and dogs started at 6PM, an hour before the game. It ended 2 hours later at 8PM but that was plenty of time to mow down a few hot dogs and plenty of beers.
I was very surprised however, with the selection and size of the beers that Van Andel offered. When I approached the counter and asked what they were serving, they gave me three options: Budweiser, Bud Light, and Labatt’s! Not a bad selection for dollar beers! Furthermore, when they handed them over I expected the beers to be the tiny 12 ouncers in the plastic cups. However, they gave out 16 ounce beers (they were either 16 or 20, im not quite sure -all I know is that they definitely weren't 12)!
When I got up to my seats I realized that I really didn't feel like I was sitting in the nosebleed section. I hadn't been to a hockey game for the past 5 years, but I could see everything great! Even though we were sitting three rows from the very top I still felt very much into the game! And I'm not just saying that because of the beer!
On my way to refill on a few beers I walked past a McFadden's booth and stopped to see why they were giving out bracelets. The lady at the booth explained to me that McFadden's was offering $1 beers until 11PM that night, along with free cover! I went back up to my seats after receiving my bracelet and began to tell most of my friends. Needless to say we all ended up going to McFadden's after the game and continuing our dollar beer adventure. McFadden's only offered Miller Lite's but by the time we got there it didn't really bother us!
Either way the night was extremely cheap, especially for a weekend night. I'm not sure how often the Griffin's offer the dollar beers nights but the deal made for an awesome cheap night! I think they are offering the same deal Friday, November 14. Might as well go if you don't have anything else on your plate!

Also, if you go to the Griffin's website they are advertising lower bowl tickets for $10 on college nights. Furthermore, they also are advertising "library night," which means all you have to do is bring in your Grand Rapids or Kent County public library card and you can still purchase a $10 lower bowl ticket. The dates for these deals (along with dollar beers and dogs) include November 14, 21, 28 and December 5, 19, and 26. Hope to see ya there!

No comments: